Thursday, August 31, 2006

HNT- becoming a parent

fresh from the hospital last Sept 2005...notice the umbilical cord stub still on her tummy. If you look in the upper part of the picture you can see the plastic tub ("bassinet") that I kept on my nightstand for Avery.
She was so small to put in her crib and I was having a difficult time getting use to the baby monitor so I simply kept her on my nightstand and it worked quiet well for the first several weeks. I had heard of people using dresser drawers but really......that just didnt sound as comfy as a personal rubbermaid tub lined with blankets.

these days Avery is starting to show signs of being afraid of the floor. She'll go into a panic and act terrified that something is behind her and come bolting for my arms. If I dont pick her up with the momentum that she's coming at me, the girl starts climbing me and looks back over her shoulders as if there's something about to attack her. Do babies see monsters or is this from the chasing games her dad and I play with her in the evenings? Its getting pretty ridiculous.
If after I pick her up and comfort her and distract her for a minute or two, Avery still refuses to be put back anywhere on the floor. Even if I'm sitting directly next to her and she can climb over my legs, she still jumps to be up in my arms and being held....its a panic situtaion and I dont understand where its coming from. Could be that she's afraid that she might learn to walk if she's given too much time on her own outside of my embrace.

This day one year ago I was walking the mall for the second day in a row and batman treated me to a Godiva Chocolate shake....I just remember feeling so ridiulous knowing I was in labor and having contractions every 7 minutes and wondering if the people around knew what I was doing and if they felt nervous or uncomfortable at the thought of a woman walking the public mall and stopping to lean on aquariums while the contractions passed. I'll never forget that blue fish that stopped to look at me and watched.

8 Comments:

Blogger Osbasso said...

Happy Birthday to Avery, and dammit, to her mom, too!

August 31, 2006 9:17 AM  
Blogger BabyMakes4 said...

it is so hard to believe that it has been almost a year since avery came into this world, isn't it? and now benjamin is almost here!! wow. i can't wait to see pictures of him!

August 31, 2006 10:30 AM  
Blogger Marianna said...

Huh... I've never heard of such a thing! I hope she gets over that soon.

Happy HNT!
M~

August 31, 2006 11:08 AM  
Blogger LushlyMe said...

That is adorable! HHNT!

August 31, 2006 12:37 PM  
Blogger Blue Ix said...

Hello there - I stumbled onto your blog for HNT, and started reading some of the older stuff on there. It gave me goosebumps!!! I don't have kids, and am perpetually single, but I do look forward to having a little family of my own at some point. Your posts just have some sort of sparkle to them - They make me want to have a wobbly little baby!

August 31, 2006 3:35 PM  
Blogger Phain said...

that plastic tub idea is pure GENIUS! *~*happy hnt*~*

August 31, 2006 4:41 PM  
Blogger Violet said...

happy birthday Avery! We had those plastic tubs at the hospital when my little one was born. They're just perfect, and would have made great newborn bathtubs too. I wanted to steal one to take home.

August 31, 2006 11:33 PM  
Blogger keda said...

ooh how lovely.

she was so much bigger than my littlelets. gorgeous.

as for the terrors.. i don't know really, but i know babies can have little terrors like that. could she have seen some ants or other wee little bugs at some point and be afraid of their return. my guys did something like that after first coming across an ant when they were very wee. they would see any old peice of fluff and panic that it was alive and would come to get them!

September 06, 2006 4:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home