Sunday, August 07, 2005

packing for Mommyhood


well, today i checked my email and one of my many online pregnancy calenders has recomended that I be packed now for my labor and delivery....which I'm not. I figure It can be one of those things I do to stave off rushing to the hospital with contractions too early. I believe that's one of my worries, that I'll think I'm ready to go to the hospital but when i get there, the nurses just turn me away and say it's not real labor yet and I'm not dialated at all. So I keep thinking of things I can do to busy myself during early labor and my plan is to wait and then wait some more, I hope to wait so long that I'm barely able to hold this baby in and it just falls out as i'm being admitted to the hospital......Dont worry, the hospital is two exits down the road from me. I've actaully considered maybe making it a walk over there......they say walking helps stop false labor and promotes real labor. I could do a mile and a half couldnt I.....?

"What to Pack in Your Hospital Bag
Though you aren't packing for an island cruise or a ski vacation, you'll still need plenty of planning as you prepare your hospital bag for one of life's biggest adventures—labor and delivery! Learn what essentials to pack for your hospital stay and what to leave at home.

Those last few weeks of pregnancy can seemingly take forever, but that baby will come soon and you want to be prepared! By the end of your thirty-sixth week you should have a bag packed and ready to go. Here's a list of the necessities as well as a few "extras" that might make your hospital visit more comfortable. If you know you will have an extended stay in the hospital (with a c-section, for instance), be sure to plan accordingly.

NightgownThe hospital may insist you wear one of their gowns, or you may prefer to keep your nice gown clean for after the baby is born, but eventually you will likely want your own pajamas. If you are planning to nurse, be sure to bring a gown that opens down the front (you don't want to be lifting up a long gown to breastfeed!) It's a good idea to bring at least three gowns or even pjs in case you have a longer stay than anticipated -- you won't want to send hubby home to do laundry

Slippers and Socks Keep your tootsies warm. Bring slippers or socks for walking up and down the halls.

Bathrobe Most moms find themselves walking the halls in a nightgown and robe at some point during their stays, so splurge a little on something nice you won't mind wearing "in public."

Nursing Bra, Nursing Pads and Nursing Tops These are especially wonderful for breastfeeding moms, but the bras are not a bad idea even if you don't plan on nursing. Nursing bras give you extra special protection and support.

Underwear You may feel most comfortable wearing your own underwear, or you may want to wear something provided by the hospital since your underwear could become bloodstained from lochia after delivery if your pad leaks. Either way, it's best to be prepared and bring a few pair of undies with you! The hospital will likely provide napkins for you, but you may want to bring your favorite brand. You'll need highly absorbent napkins with plenty of coverage for your undies.

Toiletries Don't forget your toothbrush, toothpaste, shampoo and hairbrush. Lip balm is a good thing to add to your bag also; all that heavy breathing during labor and delivery can dry your lips.

Cosmetics This is for you moms who like to look great in ALL your photographs! No matter how bad you may feel during labor, you'll want to make a point to do your makeup and brush your hair before delivery. You're sure to be in plenty of photos with your newborn. At the very least you may like to put on a little makeup the next day when you're expecting visitors.

The Going-Home Outfit Moms-to-be, it's time for a reality check! Put aside those hopes of wearing your favorite pre-pregnancy jeans home from the hospital and opt for something loose fitting and comfortable. You will probably still look pregnant (it takes time for most women's bodies to shrink back to pre-pregnancy size!), and if you have a c-section you will appreciate something loose at your waist. You'll also want flat, comfortable shoes.


Baby Clothes Most moms bring something special for their little ones to wear on their first outings into the world. Be sure to consider the weather when you choose an outfit for your newborn. If it's cold outside, you'll need to bundle baby! And be sure to bring a cap for your baby's head (although they usually give you a cute one at the hospital).

The Diaper Bag Time to start toting the bag! Bring a few diapers and some gentle wipes. The bag will also be handy to carry home all the "extras" you get at the hospital (literature, thermometer, bulb syringe, etc.)

Receiving Blankets Most newborns love to be swaddled. You finally get to use those adorable blankets!

Phone Book and Long Distance Calling Card You'll want to share the joy of having a baby without paying the hospital's long distance rates.

Laptop After delivery, you may want to take a few minutes to send your favorite cyber friends a virtual
birth announcement.

Music Player and Favorite Music Both during labor and after your baby is born you'll appreciate the familiarity of your favorite tunes as background music.

Massage Lotion/Aromatherapy Items Splurge on some special pampering lotions and aromas. Massaging you during labor will also give your partner something to do to help you (and keep him busy!)

Video Camera, Regular Camera and Film, and Extra Batteries Check with your doctor before you go into labor about the hospital's policy on taking pictures and videos in the delivery room. Bring plenty of film to capture those precious moments of your newborn's first minutes, hours and days.

Snacks You likely will not be eating or drinking much during labor, but the dad-to-be may want to fuel up without leaving you to find a snack machine! It's also nice to have a healthy snack for after delivery -- you may be starving and very thirsty (hey, having a baby is hard work!), and if it's the middle of the night you'll be grateful to have something to munch on.

Baby Book or Journal You may want to jot down some details in baby's book while everything is still fresh in your mind. And don't forget to see if baby's book has a place for newborn footprints -- you can have these done at the hospital.

Breast feeding book Bring a breastfeeding book or consider scheduling a lactation consultant to visit you after the baby is born. Some hospitals provide this service, but it's a good idea to double check with your provider and insurance company beforehand.

Car Seat This is a must. Your baby won't be allowed to ride home without a car seat!

I have the Carseat and I wouldnt have thought to pack the baby book. so It's a good list, all you other mothers out there, what do you think about this list? is there other stuff I should consider taking? guess I dont need to pack my swimsuit however I have always learned that It's good practise to pack regardless of where you're going. what do you think?
*********************************************************
Ever wonder about why we have the old tale about the stork bringing the baby?
Read Here.......http://www.doctorsecrets.com/your-kids/baby-stork-marks.html

12 Comments:

Blogger mrs. awesome said...

ha ha ha...well, i had no bag packed when i got induced. i had to call p. at work and then direct him via the phone to get it all together. also, just a side note....those diapers and wipes the hospital provides? your insurance pays for every single one, whether you use them in the hospital or not. so when you leave, take those suckers with you! clean em out, cause you've already paid for them. my very nice nurse (who was also my lamaze teacher) let me in on that little secret. :) p.s. sam's is hands down the cheapest and best calling card around. it's getting close!

August 07, 2005 5:57 PM  
Blogger Heather/SHTEZQ said...

tonight I am going to make a post that you might want to read if it is not there tonight it will be there in the morning.

August 07, 2005 8:36 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

You might consider adding some form of chocolate to the list.

August 07, 2005 10:53 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

Totally bring your own pads! I think the hospital pads are left overs from the days when they needed belts. Also, shave your legs before you go, there is nothing like rubber gloved hands rubbing your legs and pulling at the stubbly hair! I agree with the above comment; Clean them out! Take everything they bring to your room; diapers, wipes, powder, ointment for the belly button, the remote to the TV...whatever they bring- take!

August 08, 2005 7:55 AM  
Blogger Avery's mom said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

August 08, 2005 11:31 AM  
Blogger Avery's mom said...

Grody~ I dont know if I would trust BAtman to pack via intructions over the phone, sounds scary to me

MLWHITTT~funny talking with a strange man about maxipads :)

Heather~read it,,,,very good advice thanks

Addict~ I hope there isnt a rush for the hospital. but then you never know, best to be ready i guess. glad it worked out in your case.

Chris~ Like I would forget chocolate. Always have to have that. It's more important that bringing my belly :)

AMY~ hahaha, I'll take, I'll take

August 08, 2005 11:31 AM  
Blogger Marianna said...

Hi honey! I'm back. I just got caught up on your past blogs. My heart goes out to you and I can only imagine how difficult it was to share that story with us. Sweetie, your Batman is very honorable. He did something so grand & sweet. I hope I find someone as kind as him. I know you know this in your heart: A DNA result does not "make the Dad". A heart makes the Dad. And he's proving to have a heart of gold.

That list of things to bring with you to the hospital is very valuable. But I agree with mlwhitt ~ bring maxipads just in case. And a washcloth to wipe your face after delivery.

I'm wishing you all the best!

M~

August 08, 2005 12:26 PM  
Blogger Hippie girl said...

Omg I can't really believe it's getting that close. I'm so excited are you going to let us know when your going ? Hey I'm coming to Tx in 2 weeks you ought let me know where your at. Maybe if the timing is right and everything we can meet maybe Avery will be here by then . I get to see my first Grandbaby for the first time. I'm so excited.Email me if you get a chance.Bye little one

August 08, 2005 1:12 PM  
Blogger sarahshep said...

All I have to say is you will handle everything amazingly...and I have a big hug for you!!!

August 08, 2005 8:30 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

If you decide to wear your own nightgown during delivery, be sure to bring one that can be thrown away, as it will get yuckies on it. I brought a huge t-shirt to both of my labors and was very grateful for them.

Also if you're picky about pillows you might consider one or two of your own.

I was only half-packed on Monday with Denali (I did have my list written out), and had to throw things in quickly. Then when they sent me home, I had two days to pack before he really came on Wednesday.

August 09, 2005 3:44 AM  
Blogger mrs. awesome said...

robyn--

where are you? are you having that baby? :)

August 09, 2005 6:34 PM  
Blogger Heather/SHTEZQ said...

hey Robyn! I hope you are o.k we have not heard from you in a few days and maybe you are having the baby and if you are hope all is well but if not we are worried so drop a little note.

August 09, 2005 8:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home