Wednesday, August 17, 2005

do you want it rare, medium, or well done


Saw my doctor today and the question now is when do I want to schedule my induction.
can you believe it? I get to pick when would be good to have this baby. So the big question is do I want to have a little Leo or a Virgo?

I didn't gain anyweight this past week, which allows for me to put on 1 more pound before delivery before I get to the 'I'm going to have to kill myself if I go over' amount that I set for myself way back when I knew nothing about being pregnant.
my bloodpresure was good though the nurse Courtney was really tired and just wanted to go home and sleep.......Didn't feel like criticizing her and telling her how tired and achy I feel....She's got to stand guard over the Doc when he inspects lady parts so I imagine her day might actually be a bit more dreary then mine.

My lovely Doc came in after making me wait almost another 15 minutes with nothing over my lower half but a paper drape....I wore the drape, not my doctor, he wore some type of lavender shirt and shiny tie......Why does a medical doctor dress like he's in a business meeting? I would much prefer for him to be more comfortable then posh, he's a healthcare provider not a banker.
anyway, he measure my growth, said 'good', put some instrument to my tummy and listened to Avery's heart Thumping. I ask if it sounds alright and he says, ' it's about 157' **?**
I'm guessing that's good, I just wish this doc would tell me some sort of progression instead of keeping it hidden in my secret file. I want to know that things are moving forward or backward or not moving at all....I just want to know. Telling me 157 means nothing to me. I'm just a simple woman carrying around a lot of water weight mixed in with a full term baby.

so next he puts my feet up in the stirrups and I get to scoot my butt down for him,,,,I'm getting pretty good at this now and he lubes up and pokes me with his longest digits. Totally uncomfortable but I have no more shame so I just look back at him with my forhead squinched trying to not notice how he's not being very nice inside of me. He's got his head turned to the side and is hunched over like he's up to his freaking elbow....And I cant figure out what his expression on his face means. First I'm thinking it looks surprised like last time, and that I'm not dilated one bit. Then my DR. Takes his other hand and starts pressing down on my belly. Shoving Avery down and his eyes brighten a bit and he finally says, ' yes, there we go. It's about a tiny fingertip.' I start thinking that he's actually felt little avery's fingers inside of me but then realize he's still talking about the cervix that needs to be opened.
I ask if it's reached 1 cm. Yet and the doc says 'a tiny centimeter' and 'when do you want to schedule for an induction, I really want to see you on Monday'

can you believe he thinks I'm ready to start labor. I'm ready to not be pregnant but all you girls keep reminding me that I really don't want a super tough labor so I backed down and told him that I would rather wait to see what happens naturally with my body then to force it with drugs and an extra night at the hospital.
So I scheduled for this coming Monday for my Doctor to check me. If I'm still good, or even better, then I might decide about inducing. Who knows what can happen between now and then.

I'm so nervous but very excited. Cant believe I'm here already. This appointment today really gave me some confidence. Even though it was short and sweet, It helped me realize that even though, this process is going to be difficult and undesirable, that I can tough out a lot of discomfort and kind ride the flow of pain. It's all about keeping your head above the surface and staying cool. I think It gave me a glimpse of not worrying about things, but just staying tough and relaxed.


something else to chew on.....I really like what it says about the baby's soul
http://www.unhinderedliving.com/downside.html

6 Comments:

Blogger Angel! said...

You are definitely ALWAYS a number for them (the medical professionals).

157 beats/minute, I've read that between week 33-36, a baby's heart normally beats between 120-160 so I guess that Avery has a perfectly grown and healthy heart.

But I'm no doctor here, just a blogger-friend who doesn't take you as a number!

August 17, 2005 4:55 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

You've arrived! You know what I think about induction, but all the same you should do what you feel comfortable with. And no matter what you do, you are soon to have a baby in your light weight arms. How wonderful!

August 17, 2005 5:54 PM  
Blogger mrs. awesome said...

well, if you have to get an induction, i have one word for you--epidural! it makes an induction much better. and even though i didn't want one, and almost waited too long, it progressed my labor right into the pushing part. yea!! and good luck with whatever happens. you'll do fine :)

August 17, 2005 6:35 PM  
Blogger Heather/SHTEZQ said...

I think you made the right decision to hold off alittle longer but i bet you are so excited that it is going to happen anyday. hang in there girl almost.

August 17, 2005 7:35 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

I would like to second what addict said. YOUR story.

August 17, 2005 8:39 PM  
Blogger Marianna said...

Oh my gosh! Monday?! Like a few days from now?! Ohhhh how COOOOOL!!!

I'm a Taurus. My compatible sign is supposed to be a Virgo.

:D

I'm a dork.

M~

August 17, 2005 8:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home