Saturday, May 14, 2005

I'm getting advise from a seventh grader. This young wizard of the web is trying to show me how to make links on my blog. We didn't have the web when I was her age. I have not needed to use computers in my line of work. This blogger is about to quit. I just need to understand how to create links.
This Chloe girl is pretty awesome but is also embarrassing. She's sooooo smart. She's probably going to become some rocket scientist or brain surgeon when she's older. Maybe I'll name my baby after her (she does have a lovely name) I'll consider but only after I figure out this link upset.
I will get it soon. Just be patient and I'll have so many links for you all. You'll regret and never come and visit me any more ;]
one question though, Is it more polite to request posting someone's link before hand, or would some take offense? Just curious.

2 Comments:

Blogger :| raven |: said...

the link thing can be daunting at first but after you get it, it's easy.

as far as linking to someone's blog ... this is how i do it:

if i visit a blog that i like .. i will comment to that person. if that person comes back to me and comments .. then i watch their blog for a period of time to see if their blog is something i'd want to share with my friends .. i.e., are they funny, deep, cultural, intelligent, etc. if it is something i'd want to share with others who visit my site, then i add them as a link.

if someone wants to add me ... i find that an incredible honor. i have never asked someone to add me ... i just have been blessed.

May 14, 2005 1:54 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

OK, as far as the mechanics linking, you click on the third from left icon at the top in the editor. It will ask you for the URL. URL stands for Universal Rssource Locator. It is the address in the web browser that you use for web pages, or whatnot. I usually have another browser windows open with the page I want to link to make sure I get it right, and then just copy and paste it, or retype it in.

The next thing is is to type what you want to call it between the ending ">" in the URL and before the "<". This is what will actually appear on your site.

If that is not clear or you have more questions let me know. It is not so hard once you get the hang of it.

As far as permission to link goes, if you are going to make a permanent link, such as in having friends listing in your template, then yes, you probably want to ask them first.

On the other hand if you are just referenceing something like a posting from thier blog, or something, in your blog, then just go ahead and link it. That is how the web works.

Happy Blogging!

May 16, 2005 1:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home