Saturday, July 02, 2005

Childbirthing day 1

jamie and I went to our first of four childbirthing classes the other evening. I was already pooped from running around Walmart for over 2 hours with my mom. She had been complaining that she wanted to get out and look around so I strapped my swollen feet into my favorite pair of flip flops and chased her on her buggy around walmart. I was thinking I probably should use one of the electric carts they offer at the front for handicapped people because by the time I convinced mother that we really needed to be leaving, my back was giving out and I just wanted to sit on the floor. I wasn't even sure if I could walk all the way back to the front and find a check out counter, gravity was having the greatest pull and my legs were tired.
Half an hour later, mom and I were checked out and leaving. All she purchased was a bathrobe for my stay at the hospital which was very sweet of her. And I bought a silly Tshirt and panties set that I thought was cute but the panties don't fit right...Something about being pregnant. Maybe when I get my body back I can wear them. The Tshirt is an extra large but my stomach rolls out under the bottom, I just got it for bedtime wear and it's super comfy. Mom isn't going to let me have the bathrobe just yet, I think she said something about waiting to give it to me at the baby shower....Whenever that is going to be?! I'm worried that she's going to forget.
but on to my childbirthing classes

So every where I read, preparation for labor and delivery is key and that women who take a childbirthing class minimize their time spent in labor...Sounds good to me! I don't care much to prolong a painful experience and if getting my brain set for this discomfort ahead of time is going to make it simpler then I'm all for it. pluss my shrink was saying that it would be beneficial to bring jamie and build up the support I need from a partner and it would make him feel more involved with the pregnancy. Some men don't know what to do when it seems their wife is the only one going through this life altering period...All the guys feel is a financial impact on their lives and they want to be more apart of the happenings....
We arrived on time but the instructor had already started up a introductory video and we had to cross this vast room in the dark filled with about 6 other pregnant couples. Between the piles of blankets and pillows everyone had brought, the room was pretty well padded and jamie and I made it to two open chairs and sat down.
The video was of a man talking about his personal experiences becoming a dad , and when he started talking about seeing his son for the first time, I got lost in my emotions and began crying just thinking about what a precious time this is for me. I'm going to become a mommy!
I tried to pull it together, wiping away the tears as they fell but jamie had to run and fetch me a box of Kleenex...I was a bit embarrassed and hoped tha the other couples could understand that I wasn't scared but more in love and overwhelmed with the prospect of bringing my baby into this world.

The video ended and the teacher began talking and asking us to go around and introduce ourselves. The men had to say what their biggest fear during pregnancy was, and every one of the soon to be dad's said they were mostly worried about the birth process. The mommies had to say what we liked the most about our pregnancies.....(.uh, could I get a hint?).... Actually we all just agreed that getting kicked from the inside out was an interesting sensation and somehow deep down inside, we really kinda like it. I threw in that It's cool this pregnancy got my boobs to grow bigger and most of the people laughed (they probably thought I was a nut especially after the crying episode)
The last hour of class, the teacher had us on mats on the floor, daddies behind mommies and she walked us through imaginary contractions of labor with focus and relaxation techniques. When she dimded the lights and started playing ocean music, and the current "contraction" was at it's peak, I lost it again and started crying.
jamie was good and supportive but when he realized that I wasn't doing the breathing part right, he got a bit concerned. He just started laughing when he saw the tears streaming down my face because he knew I just couldn't help myself. Pretending to be in labor got my heartstrings going. I just hope when the real time comes everything goes how it is suppose to. I'm sure I'll be so focused and the real contractions of labor will make all the difference. It was just weird pretending and practicing, but I know that it's going to better prepare me for when the time comes.

overall jamie and I had a good experience and we're looking forward to next week. We're supose to be practicing at home every night but we kinda flaked out last night. we stayed up till 3 am watching CSI on DVD. maybe we'll get it done today sometime if we dont let it escape us....God knows i liked the massaging part jamie was doing for me.

3 Comments:

Blogger :| raven |: said...

i am glad you had a good class together ...

and yes, preparation is important ... so you have some kind of idea about what's going to go on .....

i know you will do great .... (( hugs ))

July 03, 2005 5:28 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

Robyn, I have never been pregnant myself, but EVERY SINGLE time I see a baby born on TV, I cry. I've done it for years. I guess there's just some tug there. Of course, I've been lucky enough to watch the births of two of my nieces. Just go with your emotions and don't feel like you have to apologize for your tears. :-)

I laughed when you said that you were so tired at Walmart you could have just sat down! I would have done it! Thanks for sharing your experiences.

July 03, 2005 6:18 AM  
Blogger Marianna said...

*awwww...*

A big hug to you, gal. You're gonna be a great mom. And no worries on the tears ~ let them shed away.

M~

July 03, 2005 8:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home